Hummingbirds are not only fascinating creatures but also a joy to watch as they flit and hover in gardens. To invite these tiny, vibrant birds into your outdoor space, planting red flowers can be highly effective. In this expert guide, we recommend ten red flowers that are known to attract hummingbirds, drawing on the insights of government horticultural bodies and academic experts. Discover how you can create a hummingbird-friendly garden with these beautiful and nectar-rich blooms.
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
The cardinal flower boasts striking, tubular red blooms that are irresistible to hummingbirds.
Plant in moist, well-drained soil and provide partial shade, especially in hot climates.
Bee Balm (Monarda didyma)
Bee balm, with its showy red flowers, is a hummingbird favorite and also attracts pollinators.
ant in full sun or partial shade in well-drained soil.
Red Hot Poker (Kniphofia uvaria)
Known for its fiery red spikes of tubular flowers, the red hot poker is a hummingbird magnet.
Plant in full sun and well-draining soil.
Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans)
- Description: Trumpet vine produces clusters of vibrant, trumpet-shaped red flowers that hummingbirds adore.
- Growing Tips: Plant in full sun with support for its climbing vines.
Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)
The coral honeysuckle features vibrant, tubular red blossoms that hummingbirds find irresistible.
Plant in full sun or partial shade, and it’s adaptable to various soil types.
Scarlet Sage (Salvia splendens)
The scarlet sage, also known as salvia, offers spikes of bright red blooms, making it a hummingbird favorite.
Plant in full sun and well-drained soil.
Red Beechey Groundcover (Achillea millefolium ‘Red Beauty’ or ‘Red Velvet’)
This low-growing groundcover features small, red flowers that attract hummingbirds.
Plant in full sun and well-drained soil.
Indian Pink (Spigelia marilandica)
Description: Indian pink boasts unique, tubular red and yellow flowers that hummingbirds find appealing.
Growing Tips: Plant in partial shade and well-drained soil.
Red Yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora)
Description: Red yucca produces tall spikes of coral-red, tubular flowers, making it a hummingbird favorite.
Growing Tips: Plant in full sun and well-drained soil.
Scarlet Gilia (Ipomopsis aggregata)
Scarlet gilia features clusters of vibrant, trumpet-shaped red flowers that hummingbirds are drawn to.
Plant in full sun or partial shade in well-draining soil.
Attracting hummingbirds to your garden is not only a rewarding experience but also beneficial for pollination. By incorporating these red flowers, which are known to be hummingbird favorites, you can create a beautiful and wildlife-friendly garden. Follow expert advice and guidance from horticultural bodies and academic experts to ensure the success of your hummingbird-friendly garden and enjoy the captivating visits of these tiny, energetic birds.
Why are red flowers so attractive to hummingbirds?
Answer: Red is a color that hummingbirds can see well, and they associate it with a rich nectar source, making red flowers highly appealing to them.
What are the key characteristics of flowers that attract hummingbirds?
Answer: Hummingbird-friendly flowers typically have tubular shapes that allow hummingbirds to access nectar easily, bright colors like red, and a high nectar content.
Are there other flower colors besides red that attract hummingbirds?
Answer: While red is a favorite, hummingbirds are also attracted to other bright colors like orange and pink, provided the flowers have the right shape and nectar content.
How can I create a garden that specifically attracts hummingbirds?
- Plant a variety of hummingbird-friendly flowers, provide a water source, and create a habitat that offers shelter and perches.
Do different regions have specific red flowers that attract hummingbirds?
- Yes, certain regions may have native red flowers that are especially attractive to local hummingbird species. Consult with horticultural experts for regional recommendations.
Can I attract hummingbirds with potted red flowers on a balcony or patio?
- Yes, you can attract hummingbirds with potted red flowers on a small scale, but consider providing a consistent water source as well.
What is the best time to plant red flowers for attracting hummingbirds?
- Planting red flowers that attract hummingbirds should be done during the growing season, typically in spring or early summer, depending on your climate.
How can I maintain my hummingbird-friendly garden to keep it attractive year after year?
- Regularly prune and deadhead flowers, provide a water source, and maintain healthy plants to keep your garden appealing to hummingbirds.
Are there any specific red flowers that are easy to grow for beginners looking to attract hummingbirds?
- Yes, some easy-to-grow red flowers include cardinal flower, bee balm, and red hot poker. These can be great choices for novice gardeners.
Can I use pesticides in a garden designed to attract hummingbirds?
- It’s best to avoid pesticides in a hummingbird-friendly garden, as they can harm both the hummingbirds and the insects they feed on. Embrace natural pest control methods instead.